I would like to say thank you for taking the time to join us in this community and I hope that you’re able to take home some helpful tips. Please do share any sustainable swaps you have made on instagram using the hashtag #londonveganist
What is sustainability?
Sustainability is the avoidance of using certain components and materials that will later cause harm to the many complex ecosystems that inhabit our earth. By taking a sustainable approach we aim to reduce the single use items that we use and incorporate more durable, natural and longer lasting alternatives.
Why is sustainability important?
In order to understand why we should be making sustainable swaps we need to comprehend the extent to which our lifestyle choices are impacting the planet. Taking a more sustainable approach to some of our daily tasks can lessen the impact we as individuals will have on the planet in a variety of ways.
For example, plastic pollution is having a detrimental affect on our oceans and thus killing thousands of marine animals. This is something we as a consumer can directly reduce by the careful selection of our products and services, with the aim to reducing the plastic we use. Farming and agricultural practices are also having a huge affect on our planet via deforestation and methane emissions. We will dive deeper into these subjects in upcoming blog posts.
For now, I urge you to stop and think about the affects our decisions have. Wherever you are on your path to living a more sustainable lifestyle I hope these swaps below will help and encourage you to incorporate small changes to your home that will ultimately have a big impact on our planet.
If we adopt a more sustainable lifestyle we will lessen our carbon footprint on the planet and ensure we are doing our part to protect the worlds most valuable ecosystems from deforestation, plastic pollution, farming and agricultural practices and therefore allow our planet to thrive as it intended.
10 ways you can welcome sustainability into your home:
- Buy a keep cup/ re-usable coffee cup
- Invest in a BPA free re-usable water bottle
- Say no to plastic straws and cutlery / bring your own re-usable and more sustainable counterparts
- Avoid unnecessary plastic food packaging
- Walk more
- invest in a period cup or re-usable sanitary towels
- Bring your own bags for your grocery shopping
- invest in more ethical beauty products, no animal testing, vegan, bamboo toothbrushes, beauty trimmers/ shampoo bars
- support businesses that are making sustainable changes, support local, buy local produce.