We all need a little self care in our routines, so it is the perfect time to learn what small changes we can make in order to keep us ticking both physically and mentally.
I’d like to start off by saying, I know there will always be a time when life will have you pinned to the chopping board and the last thing on our mind is to prioritise our own health. Self care is often seen as a woo woo subject and something that you need not partake in. However what a lot of us fail to see is that without self care, we can never truly be focused on the other aspects of our lives. For a ticking clock would not be able to tell the time accurately if all its components were not well oiled and meticulously placed. Now, I am not suggesting you embark upon the journey to ones enlightenment; however there are some basic principles that you can adopt in order to feel more aligned and focused on your wellbeing. In turn by oiling your integral cogs you will see increased focus, awareness and strength that you never knew you had.
- Prioritise hydration – Ensure your’e getting the recommended 1.5-2 litres of water a day. Our bodies require water to help with the digestive process, help lubricate joints and regulate our temperature amongst many other integral uses. Staying hydrated helps us be more alert, and thus have a heightened awareness and new found focus.
- Aim for 7 hours sleep a night – Our bodies thrive on a well balanced circadian rhythm. Adequate sleep allows our bodies to reduce inflammation, improve cognitive abilities, reduce stress and improve your overall health.
- Read before bed – Reading before bed helps our bodies to adjust to a new routine whereby we learn to de stress in a safe environment away from blue light that can and will disrupt our sleep patterns.
- Move your body – Moving our bodies is an integral part of maintaining a healthy balanced lifestyle. Wether you prefer a walk, swim or trip to the gym, make it happen and make it count.
- Eat more healthy foods – By eating more plant based, whole foods you will be supplying your body with all the nutrients and phytonutrients it requires to ensure your body thrives.
- Get creative – Being creative allows us to disconnect with the outer world and do something that makes us happy. Therefore lowering our stress levels and upping our overall wellbeing.
- Write a Journal – Journalling can be a useful tool to help you deal with your emotions. Providing yourself with a non judgemental, safe haven for sharing your thoughts can allow us to let go of tension we may otherwise hold on to. Allowing negative energy to be released and positive energy to enter can help you start to heal from within.
- Talk to family and friends – A problem shared is a problem halved as the saying goes. Being able to share your concerns with your inner circle not only helps you to visualise a way forward by saying it allowed it also helps our family and friends understand what it is we are going through and therefore are more likely to help us find a way forward.
- Check in with yourself – Ask yourself ‘ how are you today? ‘ by allowing ourselves to connect with our most inner emotions we enable ourselves to understand our needs and wants better. If we understand ourself we are more likely to be a better friend and relative to others.
- Positive affirmations – Get yourself a mantra and say it every damn day. Positive affirmations will help you start the day and end the day in a great headspace.
If you do anything today for yourself choose just 2-3 of the above simple steps and really learn how to connect with yourself more. I promise you won’t regret it.